Cooking with Little Miss Ling: Corn Chowder
In an attempt to reduce the amount of carbohydrates I consume per day, I’ve been having soup for lunch. For this reason, I have been trying out a lot of soup recipes. The recipe below is definitely not the healthiest soup recipe I’ve made, but it tastes pretty darn good so I thought I’d share. =)
1 tablespoon butter
125g bacon, diced
1 brown onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 carrot, diced
1/2 celery, diced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 cups chicken stock
250g corn kernels
1 bay leaf
2 cups light cream
4 potatoes, cubed
- Melt butter in pot and fry the bacon until almost crispy.
- Add the onion and cook until soft.
- Add the garlic, carrot and celery. Cook until the vegetables soften.
- Add the dried thyme and plain flour and mix through.
- Add the stock, bay leaf and corn kernels. Bring to boil and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the light cream and potatoes. Bring to boil and allow to simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Recipe adapted from Today’s Nest.