Cooking with Little Miss Ling: Lasagne Soup
I love lasagne. I mean, who doesn’t? So when I saw a recipe for lasagne soup, I was immediately intrigued.
I kid you not, this is probably the most delicious, hearty and moreish soup I’ve made. The rich flavours of the Italian sausages infuses through the soup, and the cheese mixture that melts on contact with the hot soup is heavenly. Add to that a hearty serving of fusilli, and I’m in paradise!
330g Italian sausage, skins removed
4 brown onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1.5L chicken stock
1/2 cup parmesan, grated
1/2 cup basil leaves, shredded
- Heat oil in pot. Brown the sausages, breaking them up into small pieces. Add the onion and cook until softened. Add the garlic, oregano and chilli flakes. Cook until aromatic. Stir in the tomato paste and cook until it turns a rusty brown colour. Add the diced tomatoes, bay leaves and chicken stock. Bring to boil and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the ricotta and parmesan, and season with black pepper to taste.
- Cook the desired quantity of fusilli separately. Drain and divide the fusilli between the serving bowls. Place a dollop of the cheese mixture on top and sprinkle with the mozzarella.
- Add the basil leaves to the soup right before serving. Season the soup with black pepper to taste.
- Ladle the hot soup over the fusilli and cheese mixture.
Recipe adapted from A Farmgirl’s Dabbles.