Cooking with Little Miss Ling: Zucchini, Carrot, Corn and Ricotta Fritters
Continuing on from my last blog entry about our three course breakfast, for second course, I made zucchini, carrot, corn and ricotta fritters, and served them with smoked salmon and a poached egg.
I originally tried this zucchini and ricotta fritter recipe from Pink Parsley, but I thought it lacked some oomph in flavour. I also wasn’t a big fan of the lemon zest in the fritters. Is it just me, or do lemon flavours in certain foods remind you of dishwashing detergent? I can’t bare to drink lemon green teas either… blergh!
So I took out the lemon zest, and amped up the flavour by adding corn kernels and grated carrot, and I loved the result!
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup ricotta
125g corn kernels
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
2 zucchinis, grated, excess water squeezed out
1 carrot, grated, excess water squeezed out
- Combine all the ingredients except for the breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Add 1 cup breadcrumbs and mix well. Add more breadcrumbs as necessary until the mixture is no longer sticky.
- Preheat oven to 100°C.
- Heat 1/4 inch oil in pan over medium-high heat.
- Pour some breadcrumbs into a shallow dish.
- Take 1/3 cup of the mixture and form a patty. Dredge both sides of the patty in breadcrumbs. Continue to do this until all the mixture is used up.
- To test whether the oil is ready, dip the edge of a fritter in the oil. If it sizzles, then the oil is hot enough. If at any point the oil starts to smoke, reduce the heat.
- Add as many fritters as will fit comfortably in the pan. Fry for about 4 minutes per side, until the bottoms are a rich golden brown.
- Transfer the cooked fritters to a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Keep them warm in the oven while you fry the remaining fritters.